Friday, July 28, 2006

Fake Beach

As a Florida girl, the beach was a pretty normal part of my existance. The smell of the ocean, the feeling of sand between your toes, and the taste of saltiness from the Atlantic--this was my reality when I chose to cross "the ditch" (otherwise knows as the Intracoastal Waterway).

Now that I live in Chicago (at least for the time being), I accepted that skyscrapers replace lifeguard stations. However, Chicagoians believe they can have both city and sand with their own beaches outlining the east side of the city. Beaches? I asked myself, how could this be. Beach=Ocean. There is no ocean nearby. Well lo and behold, North Avenue and Oak Street Beaches. I like to call it the Fake Beach. I feel like someone shipped the sand here and put it on the banks of Lake Michigan. I'm sure I'm totally wrong, but honestly, this is not natural.

But I've decided to dismiss my moronic thinking and actually try going to this beach. Yes, I'm ragging on a beach I haven't even been to. It is supposed to be in the 90's all weekend, which is quite scorching for Chicago and as good a weekend as any to try this beach out!

1 comment:

Andie said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I went to Wisconsin with my girlfriends and we were on a beach on Lake Michigan, and I was like, this isn't really a beach. The waves aren't big enough! Where's the sale water?

I totally understand!