Sunday, October 15, 2006

Random Chicago-y Things...

It's been a particularly trying week so I'm sorry I haven't blogged anything cool lately! I don't have enough for a posting on one particular item, but I have some bits and pieces so here goes...

(1) Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins at the Vic Theatre - Chicago has some fantastic musical venues. Intimate, historical and just plain cool. One of these cool theatres is the Vic. When they don't have concerts, they do a Brew and View where you can drink beer and watch second-run (out of the mainstream theaters) movies. However on this occasion, I had the opportunity to see one of my new favorite performers, Jenny Lewis (lead singer of Rilo Kiley). Jenny was actually a child actress. She was in one of my childhood faves, Troop Beverly Hills. Now, she is a singer, who likes to dabble in a fun mix of indie rock and country.

(2) Brunch is my favorite time of the week - Sunday brunches have been my favorite times of my week for several years. Back in Florida, this is the time that I would see my close friends, catch up on the week, and eat tasty brunch food without worrying that I was going to be late to work. I've tried to continue this tradition while in Chicago. Luckily, I have found some friends who also enjoy this leisurely Sunday activity. There are several tasty and quirky places in the city to enjoy brunch. Two notable places are M. Henry and Tweet.

Both places are located in the Northside neighborhoods (M. Henry on the border of Edgewater and Andersonville; Tweet in Uptown). Both serve fresh, organic and inventive brunch menus. As well, both places typically have a long, yet well worth it wait. I love the quirky, artistic atmosphere as well. I also like that both places are so not typical Wrigleyville/Lincoln Park Chicago. There are no tvs blaring in the background. The crowd is eclectic. Plus the food. Can't stop thinking about the food!!

(3) Crawling for dessert? - While waiting to be sat at M. Henry, I saw a sign for a Dessert Crawl in Andersonville next Saturday from 7p-10p. For $20 per person, you can visit over 15 restaurants in the 'hood and try different desserts. There are some amazing pastry places in Andersonville so I can't pass this up. I also like the idea that this is a food crawl instead of a pub crawl. Sure a few more calories, but I know I won't be a drunken mess after this event.

So in some non Chicago news, I'm definitely moving home in December! So this blog as I currently have it won't continue since I won't be a Southern Gal in the Windy City. Any ideas on what I should blog about??

No comments: