Sunday, August 24, 2008

Passing Time during the storm

My boss told me not to come in on Friday due to high winds from Tropical Storm Fay. What does one do with unexpected time off?

In my case, I try out new recipes! I picked two very easy recipe based on what I already had in the refrigerator or pantry.

The first one is Baked Zucchini Sticks. I had picked up some lovely zucchini from the market last week and wanted to try something other than the normal Zucchini boats I usually make. I also had half a large can of whole tomatoes leftover and decided to make a homemade marinara to accompany the "sticks". Here is how it turned out!



Since we were eating something somewhat healthy, I wanted something sweet to go with it. I had half a bag of leftover frozen peaches and some pie dough so I decided to make this. I love pies since they are not as labor intensive as cakes :)

I didn't have enough filling or peaches for the original recipe, so I ended up folding over the pie crust and it ended up looking like a rustic tart. See for yourself:



The only major substitution I made was vanilla extract for almond. This turned out to be pretty darn delicious!

Other than trying new recipes, I was pretty low key over the weekend. The hubby and I ventured out on Saturday to pick up groceries. We made a very nice dinner on Saturday night, complete with amazing ribeyes from Fresh Market. Yum and definitely a once in a while treat! I also cleaned, did laundry, etc etc.

Today I went to Target to pick up the newish Emily Giffin book "Love the one you're with". I tried to hold out and check it out from the library, but it is always on reserve for someone and I couldn't wait any longer. It is an easy read and a good story. I can see it appealing more to married women than the twenty something single. However, I recommend it for a quick read.

Time to get ready for the new week. I hope you all have a great one!

Edit: on the zucchini recipe, I substituted Whole Wheat Panko Breadcrumbs for the regular italian breadcrumbs. I tossed in some garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, oregeno and basil to jazz up the pankos.

2 comments:

Pushing40 said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! You were my first commenter-er-er. I love your blog. Cooking during inclement weather? You are my kind of girl! I look forward to reading more posts- I have bookmarked your site.

MartiniGirl

The Chicago Blogger said...

Yuuum! And I just happen to have whole wheat panko in my pantry. Thanks for sharing!!! :)